There is wisdom in implementing ways to save on your power use at home.
Aside from the obvious reason of saving more money, there is also the aspect of environment protection that you address when you are wise in the way you consume electricity.
You do not have to spend a lot with all the gadgets and devices that are being marketed as energy-saving accessories today. You only have to make some changes in the way you use electricity in your own household.
Here are some simple and practical tips that you can do to save home electricity:
- Do not use anything that consumes electricity unless you have to. In the modern household, it is unavoidable to use electric appliances and fixtures. More prudent use of these items will have to be practiced.
- Start with the lights. Always turn them off when they are not in use. You can also consider going for new CFL or LED bulbs instead of using the old incandescent bulbs and fluorescent lamps. This site has an in-depth review for all things energy saving light bulb, from the bedroom to the kitchen.
- Shorten computer usage time. You might consider using your computer for a limited amount of time and then turning it off afterwards. This applies whether you are using it for business or for personal purposes. Keeping it on to play games for hours or while you sleep is not wise at all.
- Check your heating or cooling systems. Make sure that these are running optimally. Ill maintained air conditioners would cause the motor to work harder and consume more energy. The same goes for heaters. With poor insulation, your heater would have to work harder to keep your home warm and cozy.
- Avoid using unnecessary electrical appliances. A hair dryer, for example, might not be necessary when you can air dry your hair. Similarly, hanging your clothes out to dry on a clothes line will save you from the electricity that running the laundry dryer will use up.
- Wash clothes in bulk so you don’t have to run as many loads in your washing machine. Do not use warm water; use tap water instead. The heating system will use up home electricity that will increase your bills.
- Regulate your fridge temperature. Turn it down to the lowest possible temperature. Note that your fridge is responsible for the 20% of your electricity bill. U-Switch have a nice article on this subject, so check that out.
- Consider using solar power or any other alternative power source. There are many benefits that you can enjoy by doing this. You can explore the available options in your state. It would also be a good idea to see if your state offers incentives for homeowners who use alternative power sources.
By ensuring that your household makes wise use of electricity, you are doing yourself and the environment a huge favor.
If you would like to have a more in-depth look at some great ideas for saving energy, check out the official government’s website for more suggestions. If you are serious on saving your home electricity, these are just simple things that you can do at home that will give you the savings that you can enjoy.
Try these things and you will surely be amazed with the savings that you will have with a lower electricity consumption in your home.